Hawaiian Mission Academy Ka Lama Iki is a private, elementary school that has provided Christian education in Hawaii since 1895.
Hawaiian Mission Academy Ka Lama Iki traces its roots to 1885. The immediate presence of Adventists in elementary schools appeared in 1885 when the Seventh-day Adventist General Conference sent H. H. Brand to establish classes for Chinese boys in accordance with Honolulu's Chinese merchants. The school was housed in buildings supplied by the Hawaiian chief, Nawahi, in what is now downtown Honolulu.
This "Palama Chinese School" became the Anglo-Chinese Academy in 1899 and existed until 1903. By 1905 all Adventist teaching ceased in Hawaii. This situation continued until 1913 until Aunty Matilda Tampka launched Bethel Grammar School in Kaimuki. This effort was strengthened in 1916 when Juliette Kaiualoa Lau joined the teaching staff. By 1919 interest by non-Adventists in Bethel Grammar School caused the church to purchase property on Young Street in Makiki. Thus was born the present day Hawaiian Mission Academy Ka Lama Iki.
Today, you'll find Adventist schools in nearly 150 countries. 85,000 teachers, 1.5 million students, 7,500 schools—the Adventist school system is one of the largest Christian educational systems in the world.
We at Ka Lama Iki Campus are apart of Hawaiian Mission Academy, which includes three elementary schools, one high school and one preschool on Oahu. There are Adventist preschools and elementary-intermediate schools on all Hawaiian Islands as well.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK FOR LIVE STREAM NEWS AND UPDATES!